Friday, December 10, 2010

Winter in Alaska

At last an update. Officially, Alaskan natives will tell you it isn't winter yet, but we've had snow on the ground since November 8th. I can't tell you the last time we were above freezing. We are not forecast to be above 20 for at least a week. There is nothing like driving on packed snow all the time. I've been wearing snowboots since the beginning of November. I'm guessing I won't don a pair of normal shoes for outdoor wear until at least April. I carry my work shoes with me and change after I get to the office. As you look at the pictures, notice that some of them are in the dark. These were taken on my way home from work. The sun isn't coming up until about 10 am and is going down about 3:45 pm.

Campbell Walking Trail is just about a 100 feet from my back door.



My backyard. The deck is actually my back door.




Mountain Ash. The berries start out green, change to a very pretty orange and then to this brilliant red. The birds and moose love to eat them.







Ice in the ocean. Picture taken at Earthquake Park about two weeks ago. There is much more now.





The first major snow of the season, on November 8th. Notice the Christmas lights. By the end of October just about everybody has their lights up and they turn them on. No one wants to be putting up lights when it gets really cold. In November, we had 20.5 inches of snow. A record for Anchorage. I'm told most of our snow will come in January and February.

















My winter boots. Of course, I have to have matching wool socks.















4 comments:

  1. If you see the big guy in red, tell him that despite the obnoxious kids in Had's class, we still "believe" even though we know the "truth" -- you are pretty close to the north pole, right??

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVE the boots! I want some, but I don't know if it even snows in Colorado anymore...December 10th and no real snow to speak of.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Heather, We are close to North Pole, AK, but no big guy sightings. I think he is very busy right now. Tell Hadley what I always told Katie. When she asked me, I always said to her, Do you think he is real? And she would always answer yes. Then I would say to her, Then he is real no matter what the other kids say. It always worked. Still does, as a matter of fact.

    Emily, Those boots are the best purchase I've made since I've been here. I decided that if I'm going to live here, being practical and fashionable are going to have to go hand in hand. I would be glad to share the snow with you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Janice - I'm sorry for the lateness of my comments. Computer problems... Anyway, I love the pictures!! and the boots are great!!

    ReplyDelete